The Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit (MITU) is a collaborative research Unit based at the National Institute for Medical Research campus in Mwanza, Tanzania. The mission of MITU is to contribute to improving health through the development and evaluation of interventions against HIV and other health problems by conducting research, including clinical trials, to the highest international standards to enhance the capacity to carry out such research in Tanzania and the East African region; and to contribute to the translation of research findings into health policy. MITU is collaborating with other international research partners to conduct a study called Global Burden Estimation of Human Papillomavirus Infections (GLOBE-HPV) in selected sub-populations in the Lake Zone of Tanzania.
The Unit is now inviting applications from motivated and suitably qualified candidates to fill the following position:
Position: Laboratory Scientist
The successful applicant will have a bachelor’s degree in the laboratory sciences and at least two years post-qualification clinical or laboratory experience in research project management
- To plan, manage and supervise the laboratory operations, ensuring that the laboratory procedures are carried out to the highest international standards
- To collaborate with study staff, PIs, and NIMR laboratory personnel on a daily basis to ensure that sample collection and sample processing is conducted according to the study protocol
- To maintain records of study reagents and supplies needed and available both for fieldwork and at NIMR and to organise study supplies needed for weekly fieldwork
- To develop research tools, oversee data entry and management and participate in the analysis
- To develop and regularly update standard operating procedures in accordance with the study protocol
- To train the research assistants on sample collection in accordance with Good Clinical Practice (GCP) in the study protocol
- To support optimal documentation and prepare monthly reports of sample collection, processing and storage in accordance with Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) in the study protocol
- To oversee all sample processing and conduct DNA extraction HPV PCR testing
- To participate in developing the capacity of junior project staff regarding laboratory procedures
- To undertake such other tasks as may reasonably be expected by the PIs and Study Coordinator
- To maintain and observe quality assurance for both equipment’s and assays in the laboratory.
- A bachelor’s degree in science with a focus on medical laboratory sciences
- At least 2 years post-qualification experience in medical laboratory research work
- Conversance with LIMS and Microsoft Excel for laboratory sample tracking
- Managerial skills, including organising supplies and preparing reports
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Swahili
- Commitment to working as part of a multidisciplinary research team in a multicultural environment
- Certified in GCLP for laboratory work
- Experience in HPV and related research
- Experience in performing various molecular biology assays
- Experience working in health facilities in Tanzania
- Experience working in a research institution
- Certified in GCP for the conduct of human research
Mode of Application:
- Interested applicants should submit their applications together with a letter of application, CV and copies of all relevant certificates, memberships, and qualifications email@example.com no later than 08th November 2023.
- The applicants should clearly state the job title for which they are applying in the subject line of the email.
- Paper applications will not be accepted.
Interviews will be held at the earliest available opportunity, and only shortlisted candidates will be notified if selected for interview.
MITU is an equal-opportunity organisation, female applicants and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply
A competitive remuneration package will be offered.