The Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit (MITU) based at the National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) campus in Mwanza, Tanzania is a collaborative research unit of NIMR and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. The mission of MITU is to contribute to improving health through the development and evaluation of interventions against infections and other health problems by conducting research, including clinical trials, to the highest international standards. MITU also aims to enhance the capacity to carry out such research in Tanzania and to contribute to the translation of research findings into health policy. The Unit is now inviting applications from motivated and suitably qualified candidates to fill the below position that will be based at NIMR campus, Mwanza.
Position: FINANCE OFFICER
We are seeking to appoint an ambitious and highly motivated finance officer with experience in accounting and financial management, he/she will closely work and will be supervised by the Senior Finance Officer as part of the finance team of the Unit.
- Preparing payment vouchers as well as revenue vouchers and submit for processing in accordance with the laid down rules and regulations
- Assist in issuing invoices for project expenses to donors/funders
- Managing records, receipts and process invoices
- Filling payments and receipt vouchers and ensure safety of accounts files
- Filing simple statutory returns with relevant institutions
- Resolve financial disputes raised by the customers, vendors or the project team
- Supporting the Senior Finance Officer and other staff with projects tasks whenever required
- Assist in preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- Monitor and report on daily and monthly reconciliations, identify and solve any accounting discrepancies
- Assembling data for tax filings where and when required and keeping abreast of some tax related information.
- Maintaining primary records and assist in preparation of simple management reports
- Assist with reviewing of expenses, payroll records etc. as assigned
- Update financial data in databases to ensure that information will be accurate and immediately available when needed.
Essential criteria for selection
- A relevant accounting qualification, such as a degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- A minimum of 2-year experience working within a similar organisation.
- Experience preparing management accounts using computerised software packages such as ERP Navision, SUN, QuickBooks etc.
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel or related software.
- Experience of preparing and monitoring budgets and financial reports.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Swahili.
- Self-motivation and effective time management skills.
Desirable criteria for selection
- Experience working with projects funded by international organisations.
- Experience working as part of the team in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to carry out multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
MODE OF APPLICATION
E-mail applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Detailed supporting statement/letter – Whereby each section should set out how your qualifications, experience and skills meet each of the essential and desirable criteria within the person specification. Please provide one or more paragraphs addressing each criterion. The supporting statement is an essential part of the selection process and thus a failure to provide this information will mean that the application will not be considered. An answer to any of the criteria such as “Please see attached CV” will not be considered acceptable.
- Please include a daytime mobile telephone number and e-mail contact details.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including names and addresses of two referees (one must be from your most recent employer or training institution).
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATION
- Applications should be received no later than 15 May 2023.
- You will be informed by email if you are selected for interview and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Interviews will be held in person at the NIMR Mwanza Centre, Isamilo, Mwanza.