The Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit (MITU) based at the National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) campus in Mwanza, Tanzania is a collaborative research unit of NIMR and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM). The mission of MITU is to contribute to improving health through the development and evaluation of interventions against public health problems by conducting research, including clinical trials, to the highest international standards. MITU also aims to enhance the capacity to carry out such research in Tanzania and to contribute to the translation of research findings into health policy. The Unit is now inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the below position that will be based at NIMR campus, in Mwanza city.
Position: SENIOR FINANCE OFFICER
We are seeking to appoint an ambitious and highly motivated senior finance officer with extensive experience in accounting and financial management. They will be responsible for developing financial plans for new research projects and core activities of the Unit, and in overseeing day to day financial operations with minimal supervision. He/she will be supervised by the Associate Director of Finance and Administration as part of the finance team of the Unit.
- Provide financial services for the Unit, be able to communicate with funders, auditors and external partners.
- Take part in financial decision making and be conversant with donor policies and procedures.
- Preparation of year-end audit files and liaising with auditors during the process and implementation of any financial audit recommendations (both internal and external).
- Contribute in developing financial control systems and procedures, in consultation with the Asssociate Director of Finance and Administration and finance team.
- Strengthen financial management and/or accounting systems, including the provision of support and training for management accounting software and keeping these under review.
- Hold regular meetings with Project leads and discuss any budgetary or financial issues.
- Prepare and submit quarterly financial reports as well as ad hoc reports to LSHTM and to donors/funders.
- Support the partner organisations to prepare and submit their financial reports.
- Closely monitor financial ledgers to ensure that financial controls over expenditure are operating correctly.
- Monitoring expenditure to ensure that the project remains within budget and develop and monitor systems to mitigate risk, fraud, and waste.
Essential criteria for selection
- A master’s degree in relevant field (accounting, finance, business administration) and/or a professional accounting qualification (CPA/ACCA or equivalent).
- Extensive experience working in similar organisations.
- Experience of managing grants from international donor such as DFID, NIH, ERC, MRC, USAID etc.
- In depth knowledge of financial software applications, databases and spreadsheets, including Microsoft Office, ERP Navision, QuickBooks Enterprise, and other commercially available accounting software programs.
- Experience in preparing financial reports and ability to present financial information to senior management and funders.
- Proven experience of preparing and monitoring budgets and financial projections.
- Strong organisational skills with proven ability to work effectively within a team, assess priorities and manage workload with minimum supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Self-motivation and effective time management skills.
Desirable criteria for selection
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Swahili.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop financial capacity of project staff.
- Excellent diplomatic skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders.
MODE OF APPLICATION
E-mail applications to email@example.com with the following:
- Detailed supporting statement/letter – describing your qualifications, experience and skills related to the essential and desirable criteria within the person specification. Please provide one or more paragraphs addressing each criterion. The supporting statement is an essential part of the selection process and thus a failure to provide this information will mean that the application will not be considered. An answer to any of the criteria such as “Please see attached CV” will not be considered acceptable.
- Please include a daytime mobile telephone number and e-mail contact details.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including names and addresses of two referees (one must be from your most recent employer or training institution).
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATION
- Applications received later than 22nd July 2022 will not be considered.
- You will be informed by email if selected for interview and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Interviews will be held at the NIMR Mwanza Centre, Isamilo, Mwanza or remotely through zoom or other online platform.