The Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit (MITU) based at the National Institute for Medical Research campus in Mwanza, Tanzania is a collaborative research unit of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the National Institute for Medical Research. The mission of the Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit is to contribute to improving health through the development and evaluation of interventions against HIV and other health problems by conducting research, including clinical trials, to the highest international standards; to enhance the capacity to carry out such research in Tanzania and the East African region; and to contribute to the translation of research findings into health policy. MITU is currently collaborating with other international research partners to implement two exciting research studies. This includes a clinical trial evaluating a single-dose of the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine given to males to reduce population prevalence of HPV. A large-scale community-based vaccination campaign is being conducted as part of this trial. MITU is also about to start conducting a study which will provide health and wellbeing check-ups for adolescents (Y-Check services) and assess whether young people will take up the services, how they feel about the service, and how to improve the check-up visit for future adolescents.
The Unit is now inviting applications from highly motivated and suitably qualified candidates to fill the following positions:
Position: Research Nurse/Clinician (10 positions)
Principal responsibilities and duties:
- To provide trial information to potential participants and ensure the information has been understood and any queries from the participants have been answered.
- To perform vaccination of study participants according to standard operating procedures, following all required QA and reporting requirements.
- To perform physical examinations and sample collection.
- To collect data as required for the trial, completing source documents according to standard operating procedures.
- Fully-registered nurse practitioner, with at least a diploma in nursing.
- At least 2 years of post-qualification nursing experience in hospitals or clinics.
- Experience performing vaccinations within governmental or non-governmental organisations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Swahili.
Mode of Application:
- Interested applicants should submit a letter of application together with their CV and copies of all relevant certificates, memberships and qualifications to email@example.com no later than 26 June 2023.
- The applicants should clearly state the job title for which they are applying in the subject line of the email.
- Paper applications will not be accepted.
- All attached documents should be saved using the candidate’s name.
- Applicants should also include the names and email contacts of 2 referees who can be contacted immediately if shortlisted.
- Applicants without suitable qualifications/registration or vaccination experience will not be considered.
- Successful applicants for all positions must be willing to travel extensively across the Mwanza region.
Interviews will be held at the earliest available opportunity and only shortlisted candidates will be notified by email if selected for interview.
MITU is an equal opportunities organization, female applicants and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
The Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit (MITU) based at the National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) campus in Mwanza, Tanzania is a collaborative research unit of NIMR and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. The mission of MITU is to contribute to improving health through the development and evaluation of interventions against infections and other health problems by conducting research, including clinical trials, to the highest international standards. MITU also aims to enhance the capacity to carry out such research in Tanzania and to contribute to the translation of research findings into health policy. The Unit is now inviting applications from motivated and suitably qualified candidates to fill the below position that will be based at NIMR campus, Mwanza.
Position: FINANCE OFFICER
We are seeking to appoint an ambitious and highly motivated finance officer with experience in accounting and financial management, he/she will closely work and will be supervised by the Senior Finance Officer as part of the finance team of the Unit.
- Preparing payment vouchers as well as revenue vouchers and submit for processing in accordance with the laid down rules and regulations
- Assist in issuing invoices for project expenses to donors/funders
- Managing records, receipts and process invoices
- Filling payments and receipt vouchers and ensure safety of accounts files
- Filing simple statutory returns with relevant institutions
- Resolve financial disputes raised by the customers, vendors or the project team
- Supporting the Senior Finance Officer and other staff with projects tasks whenever required
- Assist in preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- Monitor and report on daily and monthly reconciliations, identify and solve any accounting discrepancies
- Assembling data for tax filings where and when required and keeping abreast of some tax related information.
- Maintaining primary records and assist in preparation of simple management reports
- Assist with reviewing of expenses, payroll records etc. as assigned
- Update financial data in databases to ensure that information will be accurate and immediately available when needed.
Essential criteria for selection
- A relevant accounting qualification, such as a degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- A minimum of 2-year experience working within a similar organisation.
- Experience preparing management accounts using computerised software packages such as ERP Navision, SUN, QuickBooks etc.
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel or related software.
- Experience of preparing and monitoring budgets and financial reports.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Swahili.
- Self-motivation and effective time management skills.
Desirable criteria for selection
- Experience working with projects funded by international organisations.
- Experience working as part of the team in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to carry out multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
MODE OF APPLICATION
E-mail applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Detailed supporting statement/letter – Whereby each section should set out how your qualifications, experience and skills meet each of the essential and desirable criteria within the person specification. Please provide one or more paragraphs addressing each criterion. The supporting statement is an essential part of the selection process and thus a failure to provide this information will mean that the application will not be considered. An answer to any of the criteria such as “Please see attached CV” will not be considered acceptable.
- Please include a daytime mobile telephone number and e-mail contact details.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including names and addresses of two referees (one must be from your most recent employer or training institution).
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATION
- Applications should be received no later than 15 May 2023.
- You will be informed by email if you are selected for interview and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Interviews will be held in person at the NIMR Mwanza Centre, Isamilo, Mwanza.